I tried this great taco salad recipe from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry. It’s called Na-Cho Ordinary Taco Salad. I don’t do a lot of meat recipes on this blog but I really enjoyed the meal. Instead of nacho chips, crisp romaine lettuce is used instead. There’s beef (I used pork), corn and black beans and some cheese. Below is the recipe I’ve adapted from the original.
Cooking the meat and the onions only takes about 10 minutes. I recommend having the salad ingredients diced and ready to go before you cook the meat.
The Meat Portion:
- 250-500 mL cups of ground pork
- 1 cup chopped onions
- half can jalapeno peppers (100 mL or to your taste)
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- I head of romaine lettuce, ripped into pieces and washed
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained
- diced peppers
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- sliced avocado (optional but highly recommended)
- Salsa for the topping
- Brown the pork over medium-high heat.
- In a separate pan, heat the onions until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli powder and jalapeno.
- Once the pork is cooked, add it to the vegetables. Add barbecue sauce and salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salad: lettuce first, then the pork and cheese. Add the vegetables and top with salsa.