Tonight’s meal involves shredded chicken and breaded, heated goat cheese on a bed of spinach with a lemon, Dijon and tarragon dressing. I added two pears – cut in chunks – which was the perfect addition.
I chose this meal to honour the memory of our late kitten, Nola. She passed away last weekend due to a congenital liver disorder. Nola loved to follow us around the house, and the kitchen was no exception. She would hop up on the closest bar stool and watch me chop, sauté and assemble a meal. She was a picky eater but we discovered a wet food flavored chicken and cheese that she loved. Even in her last few days, when she was at her weakest, she would manage to eat a few bites when we cracked the can open.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A bundle of spinach
- Three cups shredded cooked chicken (I purchased a rotisserie chicken and skinned and tore it apart – I used about 2/3 of the bird)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 1 egg
- 1 block of goat cheese (about 150 gram packet) *Keep in the fridge until it’s ready to cut to help keep its form*
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons tarragon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 pears, cut into chunks
Let’s get started:
- Cut the stems off of the spinach, wash and place in a bowl
- Add Shredded chicken on top
- Cut the pears, place in bowl as well
- In a separate bow, add the olive oil, tarragon, lemon juice and zest and Dijon mustard. Mix. Pour on top of salad.
- Now for the cheese: Mix the bread crumbs and egg together.
- Cut the goat cheese into eight, think chunks
- Heat some canola oil in a pan over medium heat
- Pat the bread crumbs to the cheese chunks. Place on pan for about a minute, flip (you don’t want them to melt, just let the bread crisp, so watch them carefully).
- Place breaded cheese on top of the salad. Enjoy.
This one’s for you, Nola!