I decided to get a little creative last night and bring out the skewers and our little smoky grill — I was looking to try something a little different so I flipped through Jillian Michael’s Master Your Metabolism. I hadn’t made any of her recipes in awhile and generally always love them. This one was no exception.
This is the tandoori turkey kebabs though my husband and I used chicken instead. The meat only needs to be marinated for 10 minutes but if you’re able to make the sauce the night before or in the morning to give it more time to marinade, I would recommend it.
These were easy to make and require grilling. We used our smoker but really any grill will work. I changed the recipe to add some pepper, mushroom and lemons to the skewers so it wasn’t meat only. We made couscous to go with them. We made 10 kebabs.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, choped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (or turkey) cut into cubes
- Olive oil spray (or just olive oil)
- Optional: veggies for the skewers
Michael’s has a cilantro lime sauce as well to go with the kebabs:
- 2 packed cups of cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chopped jalipeno
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
To make the kebabs:
- Cut up the chicken and place it in a container that you will marinate the meat in. Add all of the ingredients except for the olive oil spray and optional veggies and mix together.
- Place in fridge for at least 10 mins but all day or overnight if possible.
- When you’re ready to cook, cut up some vegetables to go with the kebabs if interested (peppers, lemons, mushroom, onions etc).
- Michael’s recommends soaking the skewers in water for 20 mins. I did not and my meat slid on and off the skewers just fine.
- Prepare grill or grill pan: spray with the olive oil and heat to medium-hot. Place kebabs on grill for 10-12 minutes until cooked through.
- While they grill, prepare some couscous, following directions on the package (only takes five mins or so)
- Mix all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. Add a bit more water if necessary. Serve, on top of kebabs