It is a “what can I make with what’s in my fridge” sort of day as this heavy winter snowstorm is keeping me indoors.
I was able to tweak a recipe from The Newlywed’s Vegetarian Cookbook and make this green take on Eggs in a Basket. Below, is enough for two servings (one egg per ramkein) so adjust according to your needs
What you’ll need
- bunch of spinach (or kale)
- 2 eggs
- 2 spoonfuls of sour cream
- handful grated cheese (your choice; I chose old cheddar
- bit of salt
- bit of nutmeg
- Ramekins (those dishes that look like min frying pans and have lids. (Think onion soup). I found mine a couple of years ago at a thrift store for about $.10 each).
To make: Preheat to 350
1. Steam the kale. I like to do it with my double boil and get a bit of water boiling in the bottom of the pot and then add my steamer on top. If you don’t have one, heat kale in a frying pan with a touch of water until the greens turn a brighter shade.
2.Place the greens in the bottom of the ramekins (If you are using kale, rip it into tiny pieces; it’s hard to eat the meal when you’re trying to balance an entire leaf on your fork with egg). Feel free to shake some of the seasoning onto it.