For any of my readers with a few days off over Christmas, you may find you have more time in the morning to prepare food than when you were busy getting ready for work. This is the Whole Grain Pancake recipe taken from the Moosewood. I cooked some blueberries and cranberries with some maple syrup over low heat as a topping.
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- In a food processor, mix flax seeds and oats until they have a consistency akin to cornmeal. Put in bowl and add remaining dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, oil and water.
- Add wet to dry. Stir just until combined.
- Warm lightly oiled skilled. Add ladles of batter (about 1/4 cup for each pancake) and cook until bubbles form on top. Turn pancakes and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Add berry topping (see start of blog for direction).
Per pancake: 258 calories, 10g of protein, 25g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fibre, 15g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 8g monosaturated fat, 71 mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium.